Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Avatar

Disclaimer:  A lot of material for this blog may come from films.  Film, art, literature, music, are all messages of language and being.  Artists are "keepers of the house of being" as Martin Heidegger would say.

My husband and I saw Avatar in 3D a few days ago.  As parents of two small children, who don't get enough sleep, it was imperative to see the matinee showing of this 3 hour film so we could stay awake for it's entirety.  We arrived a half hour early to find that the auditorium was almost filled to capacity.  This is proving to be a popular film indeed.  As we took our seats in the lower section, we noticed many people had brought along infants and toddlers.  We made snide remarks to ourselves about getting babysitters and how could anyone possibly enjoy a three hour movie while trying to keep a baby quiet, and so on and so forth.  As the lights dimmed and things quieted down we began our three dimensional journey.  What at first seemed like might be a complicated sci-fi drama quickly became a futuristic almost Western.  Cowboys vs. Indians set in a technological fury of a distant planet.  While the literal premise of the film is humans vs. aliens one gets a sense that it is not just simply that because the aliens are the heroes, sort of.  For one, humans are attacking aliens not the other way around, and not just any humans, American humans.  Americans have traveled into space to do what else?  Exploit and consume.  The native species of that planet, the Na'vi, are a poorly disguised version of what indigenous races on Earth are like, complete with bows, arrows and warpaint.  Let me rephrase that, they are a poorly disguised version of what a stereotypical indigenous race on Earth is like. And this is where the experience of watching this film became eerily personal, not "just a movie" anymore.  See, we live in a town with a large Native American population.  Well, that is not entirely correct.  We live in the town, with shopping and a movie theater, closest to the nearest reservations.  Which means that folks pack up their families and take long drives into town to see a movie and enjoy some recreation.  I would say that about 80% of the film-goers in that particular auditorium were Native.  As the film drew on I began to wonder what they were feeling.  When the American humans are destroying the Na'vi's land and people with ruthless abandon, what does an American Indian feel?  I would imagine rage and bitter sadness.  I can't say for sure because I'm not Indian, but my imagination allows me to feel something along those lines.  There are more questions to be asked:  what do they think about the plot line that a (white) human man comes in to save the Na'vi (because they "couldn't" do it for themselves)?  What do they think about a movie where aliens are dressed up like them?  Is it an honor or a sacrilegious mockery?  How would you feel?  Mostly, I wondered what the drive home was like.  Did they sit in silence mourning the fact that they did not "win" like the Na'vi in the film, that they were headed home to a reservation?  I don't know.  James Cameron says this movie is about accepting others' differences, I wonder if Sherman Alexie would agree.

One thing I do know however, I felt incredibly guilty for the snide remarks about children in the theater.  In my smug illusion of superiority I failed to take account of the cultural factor.  It is usually the most important factor in human living.  I failed to acknowledge that many cultures include their children in everything and do things as a family.  They bring their children to, what some would say, a grown-up film because it does not occur to them to do otherwise.  It is a beautiful thing, always doing something as a family because any other scenario wouldn't be considered.  This practice reminds me of my own upbringing.  My (Mexican) parents simply didn't believe in leaving children with babysitters.  I can count on one hand the times my siblings and I were left in the charge of others.

Some may argue that it is just a movie and not worth reading so much into.  "Aren't we way past all that racist stuff?"  The short answer is no.  Not even close.  Contemplating the message of films like this matters because these messages create the standards and ideas of the definitions of our conduct and beliefs; unwittingly, in fact.  I didn't even get into the implication of the critique of the American military machine.  I have been so surprised how few people get the critique.  I have personally heard several military folks that loved this movie and claim it as a new favorite.  Which side were they rooting for?  Did they understand that they are painted as the bad guys here?  Not that I have anything against folks who serve in the military.  Don't get me wrong, that's not my gist.  My husband served for 9 years.  Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I believe an offensive (as opposed to defensive) military is an evil that is not so necessary and ethnocentrism is never a good reason for war.  I better stop right there before I write more without contemplation and intention.  This is becoming a whole different subject anyway. 

So I'll get back to the film.  There's just one more thing I wanted to discuss:  the tree-hugging thing.  This comes to no shock for those who know me personally so I'll just get right to it.  I don't believe that the interconnectedness of living things or the concept of Ewya, as portrayed in the film, is fiction.  Nor do I think that cinematic liberties were taken to create a fanciful almost whimsical religious-like context of living.  Honoring life and interconnectedness is very close to what I would aspire to practice in my spirituality.  Practicing a belief like the one portrayed in the film may seem silly or even dangerous to some Americans of a certain wing.  However, I would urge those people to be more incorporating of the idea of interconnectedness.  Every living thing is sacred, simply because it is living or simply because it was created.  You take your pick.  That is all I am going to say about that for now.

8 comments:

  1. As one of those military people who loved the movie I wanted to say that I think it is a little rude to ask if we know that the military is painted as a bad guy in the movie. We aren't dumb. I can only speak for myself but I loved the movie because I thought it was a good story and the beauty of the scenery created was amazing. For me, going to a movie is a relaxing time and while I think discussions stemming from movies like this are good for debate, I do think that sometimes people can like a movie because it is just that.... a movie. Not everything has to be political.

    Just my opinion... not trying to create hard feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No "just my opinion" explanations necessary. I am welcome to discussion. I am open to opinions based on research and founded comtemplation. I will, however, disagree with your use of the word "political." I wouldn't quite label my review as political. Critical of social issues as interpreted through art, maybe, but political is too limited and loaded of a word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I would have to say that your comments regarding the military were quite political.

    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we most certainly disagree. I don't think my statement is pertaining to or concerned with politics, government, or state matters per se. It would be if my statement was written to establish a platform or campaign a certain policy for legislation, which it does not. Simply stating a belief is not "political" especially when you consider the context for interpretation. For one, the theme of my blog is quite obviously from a global context, i.e. encompassing all of humanity. In contrast, the context is not framed from a limited perspective of American liberalism vs. conservatism. Nor do I mention any political party or platform, nor was that the theme in the subtext either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. Like I said, we disagree. You are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine. I am interested in further posts and your blog is most definately going to create discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to say "AS your blog is going to create discussions" not "and". :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Every living thing is sacred, simply because it is living or simply because it was created."
    I really like that. I heard that said yesterday (Sanctity of Life Sunday) You said it beautifully :)
    Love,
    Your Cuz Chapelle

    ReplyDelete